The Ohio High School Mathematics Invitational Olympiad (OHMIO) is to reward mathematical excellence and encourage team work. The competition challenges students individually, in teams and in a ciphering format. Top scoring Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics (OCTM) Tournament individuals and the 4-member team of each 1st place school in the five levels, based on school size, are invited to participate. The qualifying score is determined on the OCTM grading day, March 2, 2019. The qualifying score for 2019 is 22.
In 1998, approximately 30 Ohio Mathematics Educators convened to plan a second level of competition to follow the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics tournament, lead by Mary Rhein. The Ohio High School Mathematics Invitational Olympiad (OHMIO) was established in 1999 and Mary Rhein was selected to be its first director. She held this post until her death in 2005. Capital University, being centrally located in Columbus, was chosen as the competition site.
The OHMIO consists of a full day of competition beginning with a one hour individual test that covers all high school math topics including calculus. After lunch the competitors compete in an 8 round ciphering contest. Success here requires a broad knowledge of mathematics and lightning fast computation. The competition concludes with a team competition, where four students from four different schools compete as a team, testing student skills in both strategy and cooperation.
Recognition and prizes are awarded to high scorers in the individual, ciphering, and team competitions. Overall championship awards are based 40% on OCTM score, 40% on the OHMIO individual competition, and 20% on the OHMIO ciphering competition.
- The OHMIO Home always returns you to this page.
- Test Day Information/Directions includes the test day time schedule and directions to the test site.
- Registration is used by students and coaches to register for the OHMIO competition.
- Awards - OHMIO awards and prizes.
- Previous Tests - is where tournament results are posted along with past tournament questions, answers and solutions.
- Test Results - past OHMIO winners.
- Contact Information - if you have any question or comment about the OHMIO contest.
- The OCTM Tournament returns you to the OCTM Tournament Home page.
- The Login button is used by anyone with a valid username and password to access the secured areas of this website.